What Does Penetration Testing Means And Its Services?
A penetration testing or pen test is an authorized simulated cyber attack done on the computer system for security evaluation. The penetration testing services Australia uses the same techniques, tools, and processes as attackers to demonstrate and find the business impacts of weakness in a system. Penetration testing checks for exploitable vulnerabilities. In the web application security context, penetration testing is used to augment a WAF (Web Application Firewall).
What does penetration testing involve?
Penetration testing involves attempted breaching of several application systems to uncover vulnerabilities, such as unsanitized inputs and easy-to-code injection attacks. The insights provided by the penetration test are used for fine-tuning the WAF security policies and patching detected vulnerabilities.
Penetration testing services
Penetration testing is a continuous approach with the combination of manual and automated procedures for providing ongoing assessment. It can be performed alongside the existing testing program organization to ensure fixes are working as planned and security progress is made continuously.
A penetration testing service is a state of ethical cyber security assessment that is designed to recognize and safely control vulnerabilities that affect computer networks, apps, systems, and websites for any weakness discovered is addressed to mitigate the risk of malicious virus attacks.
Penetration testing stages
The pen testing process comes in five stages, namely:
- Planning and reconnaissance
- Gaining access
- Maintaining access
Penetration testing methods
After being aware of the penetration testing stages, it also helps to know the methods as well. To know them, here are they:
- External testing. The external penetration tests target the company’s assets visible online, such as
- Web application
- Company website
- Domain name servers
The goal of this stage is to gain access and to extract valuable data.
- Internal testing. For internal testing, the tester who has an access to the app behind the firewall will simulate the attack by a malicious insider. It is not necessarily affecting the rogue employee. The usual starting scenario will be the employee who has credentials stolen for phishing.
- Blind testing. In blind testing, the tester is provided by the name of the company that is being targeted. It can give the security personnel a real-time check into how the actual app assault takes place.
- Double-blind testing. In double-blind testing, security personnel has no stock knowledge of the simulated attack. In the real world, they would have no time to shore up the defenses before any attempted breach.
- Targeted testing. Both the security personnel and the tester work together to keep each other aware of their movements.
There is no room for these attackers to intrude on your PC, network, or servers. Before the attack happens, penetration testing will keep your documents safe in their current state. Penetration testing is an effective precaution for possible malware or attacks that can damage or hack any confidential files.